Our gateway town, the oldest incorporated town in Maine, guards the mouth of the Piscataqua River and is the halfway mark on Interstate 95 between Boston MA and Portland ME. As you take a scenic drive along Route 103 to Kittery Point, you will pass the gates of of the 200 year old Portsmouth Naval Shipyard; the historic Lady Pepperrell House; Fort McClary, built in 1690, now a state park; and Fort Fosterlocated at the end of Pocahontas Road, was once a fortress manned during World War II, is now a public recreation and beach facility. Along with the beautiful homes and gardens, there are remnants of the fishing, shipbuilding, and other marine-related industries that were once the center of Kittery’s economy.
Today downtown Kittery, sometimes known as Kittery Foreside, has become a gathering place for artists, specialty shops, and fine dining.
The Kittery Outlets, located along the Route 1 corridor, provide a variety of shopping experiences.
Once a part of Kittery known as the Upper Parish, the town separated from Kittery in 1810. The 747-ton Elizabeth Hamilton, and the clipper ship, The Nightingale, was launched from Eliot’s shores, as were numerous smaller craft. Eliot was the site of the first Quaker Meeting House in 1776, and it is also the international home of the Baha’i faith. Primarily a farming community in its earlier years, Eliot was also known for its brick-making industry.
Take River Road for scenic views of the Piscataqua River and across to Great Bay. In addition to the lovely views of the river, on the southern end of Route 103/Main St., there is an active public boat launch along with a family picnic area and pavilion.
The town meanders along the shores of the Piscataqua River opposite the cities of Portsmouth and Dover, New Hampshire.
The Yorks & Cape Neddick
Composed of what were once four smaller communities, the towns of Cape Neddick, York Harbor, York Village and York Beach formed under one government to create this beautiful and diverse town. It is famous for its long sandy beaches, and safe, family-friendly beach-town atmosphere. As each year passes, the area becomes more of a destination for weddings, family reunions, or just a place to get away.
It is one of the most photographed lighthouses in the world and is a popular spot for residents and visitors alike. It has a small park with benches that make it a peaceful place to rest and reflect.
Once a summer-season-only resort area, York has become a year-round vacation destination.
The Museums of Old York maintain numerous historic buildings including Jefferds’ Tavern, the John Hancock Wharf, the Old Goal (America’s oldest jail), the Emerson-Wilcox House. This museum is located in the heart of York Village and offers lectures and special events throughout the year. It is open for tours in the summertime.
A family favorite is a visit to our zoo & amusement park. Lobstering, fishing, boat building and farming were the foundations of the economy until the late 1800s when the southern Maine coast began to attract summer visitors in large numbers.
The proximity of the Yorks to the cultural centers of Boston and New York City continue to make it one of the most sought-after places to live in southern Maine.
Home of the oldest power mill in America, this community has had a diverse economy that included textile and shoe manufacturing, farming, timber and fishing. During its heyday, a boat called a gundalow was built to haul goods from the smaller inland rivers to the faster-moving Piscataqua River.
Historic homes including the Sarah Orne Jewett House and the Old Hamilton House are open to visitors in the summer as is the Counting House, home of the Old Berwick Historical Society. Vaughan Woods State Park, the Salmon Falls River and Mt. Agamenticus are all popular recreation areas for hiking, biking and picnicking.
The quaint downtown has a variety of year round fine dining and delightful shops. Outdoor concerts on the town hall lawn are a common summer occurrence.
South Berwick and Eliot share a public school district, but South Berwick is also home to Berwick Academy, a highly respected college preparatory day school. Route 236 is the main artery connecting Kittery, Eliot and South Berwick.